5 Ways To Use Tea Tree Oil For Hair Growth
Check the thing around your house like mouthwash, deodorant, foot cream, skin ointment and hair products. Many of these things contain tree tea oil in them. I’m pretty sure you didn’t buy these intentionally not even know about tea tree oil. This essential oil is used in many things because of the properties that can help with your skin, hair and also as a disinfectant.
What is Tea Tree Oil?
Tea tree oil, also called melaleuca oil, is an essential oil obtained from the leaves of the Melaleuca alternifolia tree. This tree is a native to Southeast Queensland and the Northeast coast of New South Wales, Australia. If consumed by mouth, tea tree oil is toxic but it is beneficial when applied topically to skin and hair. It has been used since ages to treat many medical conditions like skin infections, acne, fungal infection as well as hair issues such as lice, dandruff etc.
What are the Benefits of Tea Tree Oil?
Tea tree oil contains anti bacterial and antifungal properties. These properties that this essential oil has is able to eliminate bacteria and fungus. This oil also has been proven to help eliminate allergic skin reactions. Some conditions that tea tree oil can treat are:
- Fungal infections of nail
- Head and body lice
- Athlete’s foot
- Minor cuts and abrasions
- Insect bites and stings
- Vaginal infections
- Mouth and nose infections
- Sore throat
- Ear infections; and of course
- Hair problems like lice, dandruff, dry itchy scalp, hair loss etc.
- Because this article is about tea tree oil for hair, we will discuss the detailed uses and benefits of tea tree oil for various hair problems.
Why is Tea Tree Oil good for Hair?
Hair is one of the very important part of our identity. Just imagine yourself without hair. Does this scare you? If yes, then you need to take good care of your hair because hair is susceptible to get easily damaged by external environmental factors such as pollution, smoke, dust, sun, wind and harmful chemicals that are used in hair cosmetics . Not only external elements, even scalp infections and internal weakness of hair follicles can make you lose your strands. Tea tree oil seems to be the single answer for all these issues.
- Tea tree oil is natural and contains no artificial chemicals like those present in your shampoo, conditioners and other hair care products. The chemicals found in tea tree oil are all natural and they do not harm your hair. In fact, they are beneficial for your hair growth and protection of your hair, scalp and skin.
- Such hair problems as dandruff, dry and itchy scalp are most of the times, due to bacterial and fungal infections. Tea tree oil fights off these infections gently and help you treat your scalp without the side effects that are brought on by artificial chemicals found in hair products.
- This oil also help you counter the problems that are created by artificial chemical products such as clogged pores of your scalp.
- When you use tea tree oil on scalp, you take a step forward to get rid of dead skin cells. This makes your scalp healthy and promotes faster hair growth.
- Due to its toxic property, tea tree oil also helps you get rid of head lice.
- Tea tree oil nourishes and moisturizes both, scalp and hair.
Let’s see what hair problems can be tackled with the help of tea tree oil.
Use Tea Tree Oil to Prevent Hair Loss
Are you currently dealing with dandruff or another type of skin disease that causes dead skin to build up on your head? Dandruff can lead to hair loss from an infection on your scalp. These infections come from fungus and bacteria that live solely on the dead skin cells. Since tea tree oil contains antibacterial and antifungal properties its able to treat this infection by eliminating the microorganisms. By using tea tree oil daily you will treat dandruff and other infections, it will also prevent hair loss.
Make Tea Tree Hair Oil to Prevent Hair Loss
- Tea tree oil- 3-4 drops
- Carrier oil (coconut/olive/sweet almond/ any other oil)- 1/4 cup
- Add tea tree oil to your choice of oil
- Massage your scalp and hair with this mixture
- Let the oil sit on your scalp overnight or for at least few hours.
- Wash it off with gentle shampoo, preferably not containing harsh chemicals and having tea tree oil in it.
- Repeat 2-3 times a week
Tea Tree Oil for Hair Growth
Once you prevent hair loss, you have naturally paved the way for hair growth. When you massage your hair with tea tree oil diluted in carrier oil, you moisturize your scalp. You also nourish your hair with optimum nutrition. This helps in hair growth.
Sometimes dandruff and dry skin is not the only cause for hair loss. Even excessive oily scalp prevents faster growth of hair. The excessive oil secreted by your scalp may clog your hair follicles which then prevents hair growth. The good news is that tea tree oil regulates excess oil too. So, if you have this problem of oily scalp then also you can use tea tree oil and grow your hair faster. Just use tea tree oil in your shampoo in such a case.
Make Tea Tree Shampoo at Home for faster Hair Growth
Just about every commercial shampoo contains many dangerous chemicals that won’t do any good for your hair besides cleaning it. It’s best to make your own shampoo with tea tree oil and Castile soap. Castile soap is a vegetable oil based soap, it gets its name from Castile, Spain because of how famous olive oil is there. Castile bar soap was first made many years ago out of olive oil and animal fat. You can find Castile soap in liquid and solid forms and now are many out of different oils like palm, coconut, hemp, jojoba and olive oil.
Make Tea Tree Shampoo for Oily Hair
- Tea Tree oil- 20-25 drops
- Basil oil- 12-15 drops
- Grapeseed oil- 2-3 tbsp
- Vitamin E oil- 1 tbsp
- Honey- 1/4 cup
- Distilled water- 1/4 cup
- Liquid unscented castile soap- 1/4 cup
- Glass jar or bottle with lid (preferably dark glass)
- Combine all the ingredients in the glass jar or bottle
- Cover with the lid and shake it vigorously so that all the ingredients get mixed thoroughly
- Store in a cool place, away from sunlight.
- Whenever using, shake it first and then use it to wash your hair.
Make Tea Tree Shampoo for Dry and Damaged Hair
- Tea Tree oil-10-12 drops
- Lavender oil- 10 drops
- Rosemary oil- 12 drops
- Sweet Almond oil- 2-3 tablespoons
- Vitamin E oil- 1 tbsp
- Distilled water- 1/4 cup
- Unscented liquid castile soap- 1/4 cup
- Glass jar or bottle with lid, preferably dark glass
- Mix all the ingredients in the jar or bottle.
- Cover and shake well to mix the things thoroughly.
- Store in a cool place
- Shake well before every use.
Use Tea Tree Oil for Dry and Itchy Scalp
Whenever you treat your hair, you also need to think about your scalp as well. When you have a healthy scalp you will get long thick and healthy hair. If your scalp is dry and constantly itchy, it might be the reason why you have hair loss and can’t grow your hair to the length you would like. Tea tree oil is also great for this problem. Dry and itchy scalp is more than likely from a bacterial infection, which is why tea trees anti bacterial property work great to treat this problem.
Tea Tree Oil Hair Rinse for Dry and Itchy Scalp
- Tea tree oil- 5-6 drops
- Apple cider vinegar- 1 cup
- Water- 1 cup
- After washing your hair with shampoo, preferably tea tree shampoo, take a cup of water in a large mug or jar.
- Add 1 cup of apple cider vinegar and few drops of tea tree oil to this water.
- Shake well to mix them thoroughly
- Rinse your hair with this solution
- If you want, you can wash your hair again with plain water after 2-5 minutes. However, it’s better to leave it on your hair and scalp.
This treatment will also help you get rid of dandruff.
Use Tea Tree Oil to Make Moisturizing Hair Mask
If you suffer from extremely dry and frizzy hair, you can make this moisturizing hair mask which also takes care of the extra dryness of your scalp and hair, thanks to tea tree oil used in this mask. Argan oil used in this mask tames your frizz well. Yogurt, avocado and honey provides nutrition and moisture to your dry hair so that you can prevent hair breakage due to weakness of hair.
- Yogurt (plain, unflavored)- 1 cup
- Avocado(ripe)- 1
- Honey – 2 tbsp
- Argan oil- 8-10 drops
- Tea tree oil- 2-5 drops
- Mash the ripe avocado.
- Beat the yogurt and add mashed avocado to it.
- Add honey, Argan oil and Tea tree oil to this mixture and mix well.
- Wash your hair with shampoo.
- While your hair is still damp, apply the hair mask to your scalp and hair.
- Leave it for about half an hour
- Wash your hair once again with shampoo
- Use this mask once in two weeks.
Use Tea Tree Oil to Strengthen Hair
When apply tea tree oil to your scalp you will allow they hair to grow stronger. Commercial shampoos contain harsh chemicals that can clog the hair follicles, but when using tea tree oil you will do the complete opposite by preventing the hair follicle from being clogged. It will make prevent your hair from drying out and becoming brittle. This mixture is great as tea tree oil makes the hair thick and shiny, while olive oil will make the hair soft and smooth. Olive oil can also creates a protective layer which will prevent any environmental toxins because of it antioxidant compounds.
Mix Olive oil with Tea Tree Oil for Strong Hair
- Tea tree oil- 5 drops
- Olive oil- 1-2 tbsp
- Grapeseed oil (optional)- 1-2 tsp
- Jojoba oil (optional)- 1-2 tsp
- Warm the olive oil.
- Add tea tree oil to this.
- If using other oils, add them too into this oil mixture
- Mix well.
- Apply to your scalp and hair
- Massage gently for about 5-10 minutes.
- Leave it overnight or at least for 3-4 hours
- Wash off with mild shampoo and conditioner
- Do this daily (or at least 3-4 times a week) for 3-4 weeks to get well nourished strong hair.