Mold symptoms are one of the largest problems in households today. Your health becomes a big problem when this occurs in your home as toxic mold. Having mold in your house can lead to extremely serious health problems and can take all the strength, leaving you with so many deadly illnesses. Find out if toxic mold is a problem that is already in your house and more about it.

17 Symptoms Of Mold Illness And What To Do If You Have It

 

Most likely your regular doctor won’t be much help.

Mold exposure has been linked to so many health problems and doctors are seeing more and more casing of people dealing with this problem without even realizing it. People who discover the problem fast may only inflammation and constant allergies but after some time it cause asthma, oxidative stress and immune problems.

First, let’s start with: What is Mold?

mold-400x267

So, what is mold? Molds are multiple types of fungi that grow in filaments and reproduce by forming tiny spores that sprout and fly away, invisible to the naked eye. Mold grows in damp, warm, and humid locations, inside and outside. Even if you live in a dry location such as Arizona or Nevada, mold can be a problem if there are water leaks, poorly ventilated bathrooms, or floods.

Mold can grow in your bathroom, in the showerhead, or in the corner near your shower, especially if the room is not well ventilated. Mold can attach to your shoes, pets, clothes, carpets, furniture, books, and papers. Mold can circulate in your air system, especially if you’re like me and rarely change your filters. (The recommendation is to change HVAC filters once every one to three months!) Additionally, mold produces toxic chemicals called mycotoxins, present on spores and fragments of mold released into the air.

Did you know that half of all the buildings in the United States are water damaged which is the main cause for mold and can lead to potential mold illness in any person? Most people in America spend a good amount of time indoors either at work or at home, so chance are you have probably been exposed to mold without even realizing it. If your thinking about buy a house soon or you will in the future make sure to check if the house has ever had and any mold problems reported if it has its probably not the house you should buy.

So why is mold a problem?

mold-bathroom-400x262

Mold toxicity falls under the larger category of biotoxin illness, also known as Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS). Ritchie Shoemaker, MD, knows all about mold. He’s the author of eight books, including Surviving Mold: Life in the Era of Dangerous Buildings. He defines CIRS this way:

Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome is “an acute and chronic, systemic inflammatory response acquired following exposure to the interior environment of a water-damaged building with resident toxigenic organisms, including, but not limited to fungi, bacteria, actinomycetes, and mycobacterium as well as inflammagens . . . .”

Consider this comment from Dr. Shoemaker: “24 percent of people cannot make adequate antibody responses, and they’re the ones that comprise over 95 percent of people who have an illness from water-damaged buildings.” This now starts our new topic, which is the role your DNA has if you are more likely to see any symptoms from mold illness or not.

If you are a person that contains a gene that will make you more prone to mold diseases, then you will have an allergic reaction to mold when you exposed to large amount of it. 95 percent of mold illnesses are usually in this subgroup. There are also 2 percent of these people that will sick faster than other people. There’s a low chance that you are one of these people but you never know.

o-FATIGUE-facebook-400x200

People like me who are genetically mold susceptible aren’t able to recognize specific toxins as toxins, such as mold, and the toxins get re-circulated in their bodies. As a result, the toxins, in this case mold, trigger a persistent inflammatory response. Most of these folks don’t know that they have a genetic susceptibility.

Mold illnesses that are caused from a water damaged building are a serious and deadly health problem. It’s not just an allergy that many people believe, it’s a state of chronic inflammation which is caused by the immune system being off balanced. The CIRS will never heal on its own and a person will continue to suffer until they are completely treated for the problem. The illness is attached to their DNA and once it has been triggered, the inflammatory response and the symptoms might continue for many years.

CIRS Defined

To make a diagnosis of CIRS, experts have agreed that you need to meet the following criteria.

  1. History, signs, and symptoms consistent with biotoxin exposure. In cases of mold toxicity, history should include exposure to toxin-producing molds as documented by the EPA-approved ERMI test. In other cases (microcystin, ciguatera, etc.), history should include likely exposure or laboratory evidence of exposure.
  2. A genetic predisposition to biotoxin-related illness based on identification of an HLA susceptible haplotype.
  3. Abnormalities documented by Visual Contrast Sensitivity (VCS) testing.
  4. Biomarkers consistent with the neuroimmune, vascular, and endocrine abnormalities that characterize CIRS. If you have a history consistent with biotoxin exposure, a susceptible genotype, and an abnormal VCS test, you are very likely to show the laboratory abnormalities seen in CIRS. Major and minor criteria are a work in progress.

mold-sneeze

  • Fatigue, weakness, post-exercise malaise and fatigue
  • Muscle cramping, aches and pains, joint pain without inflammatory arthritis, persistent nerve pain, “ice pick” pain
  • Numbness and tingling
  • Headache
  • Light sensitivity, red eyes, and/or blurred vision
  • Sinus problems, cough, shortness of breath, air hunger, asthma-like symptoms
  • Tremors
  • Vertigo
  • Persistent nerve pain
  • Abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, appetite changes
  • Metallic taste
  • Weight gain despite sufficient effort
  • Night sweats or other problems with temperature regulation
  • Excessive thirst
  • Increased urination
  • Static “shocks”

See how easily mold poisoning could go unnoticed, or mistaken for other conditions? Yet 30 years of good scientific evidence points to the serious health problem that mold can cause.

If you have sensitivity to mold or have been exposed to toxic mold, there are many thing to do to help your heath and begin feeling better.

First, you have to get out of place that has been infested with mold. If that means getting out of the house you are in until you fix the problem or even having to get out of your work place, don’t risk your health. Make sure to have the building professionally cleaned by an expert in toxic mold to prevent it from coming back.

Use binders like clay and charcoal in your body to pull out toxins and get them out of your body via your stool. Most health stores have clay and charcoal you can use for this purpose.

Detox your body with probiotics, magnesium and vitamins that will bring you health back to normal. Once you go back to the place where the mold was exposed make sure to install a high quality air filter as soon as possible. If the mold does begin to return again at least you won’t be breathing toxic air.

Toxic mold can be extremely dangerous, so it’s important to handle this problem as quickly as possible. If you have chronic health problems, find out if mold is the culprit.