10 Etiquette Rules That Everyone Should Know
Your adherence to etiquette shows how polite, good mannered and well brought up you are.
The elite are distinguished by their:
- Common courtesy
- Clean and tidy appearance
- Ability to restrain emotion
- Proper speech and vocabulary
Here are 15 etiquette rules that you should be aware of:
1. When you walk with someone and the person greets a total stranger to you, you should also extend your greeting though you don’t know the person.
2. You will indicate to someone during a meeting that you are either bored, or really not interested in the meeting if you place your mobile phone, tablet or smartphone on the table while the meeting is going on. If you also fiddle with your phone during a meeting it suggests that you are not interested.
3. When you go on a date make sure to avoid fiddling with your phone either to answer or make calls or send text messages, it is rude and suggests that you are not really interested in the person you are dating.
4. Thank people that have helped you, always show your appreciation and never take a person’s help for granted.
5. You can help a lady with her coat and put it in a cloakroom, however never carry a lady’s hand bag.
6. Meet your friends in person if you want to hang out rather than wasting time chatting on the phone on meaningless conversations.
7. Try not to laugh too loud no matter how funny a joke is, don’t talk loud either and never stare at a person it is considered very rude.
8. Where you have made a mistake and apologised do not repeat the same mistake.
9. Always keep these eight things confidential:
- Family dispute
- Your wealth
- Medical problems
10. Being trendy is good but don’t start the fashion trend as you could end up looking silly.
Practice makes perfect so you should make these etiquette rules a part and parcel of your everyday living and train your kids from a young age so they too can imbibe these rules early on.